[casper] Community code of conduct
Jack Hickish
2018-12-05 22:47:25 UTC
Dear CASPERites,

The CASPER collaboration has, over more than a decade, created a friendly,
vibrant, and successful community or astronomers and engineers. Many of us
have CASPER to thank for our instruments, scientific papers, and careers.

In the interests of making sure our collaboration is welcoming to all, and
after discussion at the 2018 CASPER advisory board meeting [note 1], the
CASPER advisory board committed to produce a statement on diversity and a
community code of conduct to be displayed on our website and in our main
(mlib_devel) github repository.

As such, the following page now appears at
https://github.com/casper-astro/mlib_devel/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md .
We have also updated the contact details of the CASPER advisory board,
which are linked in this document. These are available at
http://casper-dsp.org/index.php/about/casper-advisory-board/ [note 2].

The establishment of this code is not a response to any particular
incident, but rather is a proactive action to make it clear that we value
inclusiveness and diversity, and to recognise that like many other groups,
CASPER could make improvements in these arenas. This code of conduct is a
small first step in a wider discussion about how to best encourage
participation in CASPER, which is vital to its continued success.

We welcome any comments or suggestions (related to this code of conduct or
not) which might help us improve our community. You should feel free to get
in touch by engaging with the advisory board via
casper-advisory-***@lists.berkeley.edu or the contact details at
http://casper-dsp.org/index.php/about/casper-advisory-board/ .

Thanks

Jack (on behalf of the CASPER Advisory Board)

[note 1] The summary slides from the 2018 CASPER Advisory board meeting are
available at
https://github.com/casper-astro/casper-meeting-minutes/blob/master/Advisory_Board/Advisory_Board_Meeting_Feedback_Slides_2018.pdf

[note 2] casper-dsp.org is a placeholder domain being used to develop a new
CASPER cloud-hosted website. This will replace the (increasingly
unreliable) casper.berkeley.edu in the near future. See
https://www.mail-archive.com/***@lists.berkeley.edu/msg07394.html.